Between the Seasons Goat Cheese Custard Bake
Keywords: bake entree breakfast vegetarian eggs fall
This is a great breakfast, brunch or light lunch dish to make with the last of the cherry tomatoes. Slightly adapted from a recipe for Swiss Chard and Goat Cheese Custard Bake from Kalyn's Kitchen
- 2 cups raw onion, sliced thin
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 cups kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup skim milk
- 6 egg
- 2 1/3 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 Tbsp Parmesan cheese (grated) (optional)
- 5 1/4 oz soft-type goat cheese, flavored with garlic and herbs
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Chop the Kale. Remove stems and dice them into small pieces. Keep these separate as they will be sauteed with the onion. Slice the onion into thin pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan (big enough to hold all the Kale) Add onion and saute 4-5 minutes on medium-high heat, until the onions are starting to become translucent. Add the cherry tomatoes. After about 2-3 minutes, Add the kale in batches and cook until the kale begins to wilt. Turn off heat and let the mixture cool slightly.
- Combine the milk and goat cheese. Beat the eggs and then add them to the milk mixture and don't forget to season with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste. Add the mozzarella and two tablespoons of the Parmesan if using. Add the kale, tomatoes and onions and stir so it's well distributed in the egg mixture.
- Spray a round springform pan with olive oil or nonstick spray. (Use a pan that's 8 or 9 inches in diameter.) Put the custard mixture into the pan and top with the remaining two tablespoons of Parmesan. Bake until the mixture is fully set and lightly browned on top, about an hour. SLice into 8 wedges and serve.
Recipe by 40 shades of green at http://knitting40shadesofgreen.typepad.com