Lemon Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Keywords: bake ice cream snack dessert vegan gluten-free
I took this Rachael Ray recipe for Lemon Cookies and made gluten-free, vegan Lemon Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches!
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- 1-1/2 cups vegan sugar
- Grated peel of 2 lemons, plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened natural applesauce
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1-3/4 cups Gum- and Gluten-Free Baking Flour mix
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart vegan, gluten-free vanilla "ice cream" (there will be leftovers!)
- I used Bob's Red Mill arrowroot starch, Whole Foods brand vegan sugar and So Delicious Creamy Vanilla Frozen Dessert.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Using an electric mixer, combine the safflower oil, 1 cup sugar, the lemon peel and juice until fluffy. Mix in the applesauce and arrowroot starch.
- In a separate bowl, sift the gluten-free flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt, then slowly add to the wet ingredients until well-combined.
- Place the remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a small bowl. Roll heaping Tablespoons of dough into balls, then roll in the sugar. Place on the prepared cookie sheets a few inches apart (about 12 cookies per sheet). Bake until golden around the edges, about 15 minutes. Rotate tray halfway through bake time to ensure even baking. Allow cookies to cool on tray for 10 minutes, and then transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- When cookies have completely cooled, scoop 1/4 to 1/2 cup of "ice cream" between two cookies. Repeat process until you have 12 sandwiches. You will have some left over ice cream, but that's OK!
Recipe by The G-Spot Revolution at http://www.thegspotrevolution.com