Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Keywords: bake entree vegetarian gluten-free
Gluten-free and vegetarian stuffed zucchini boats!
- 3 large zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 1-1/4 cups shredded carrots
- 1 bell pepper (any color!), chopped
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 1 cup cooked gluten-free brown rice
- 3 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1/2 Tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 2 small fresh rosemary sprigs (with stems removed)
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella, shredded
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper, as desired
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan
- I used 1/2 of an orange pepper and 1/2 of a green pepper, and I also used Lundberg Basmati Brown Rice.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. After cutting the zucchinis lengthwise, scoop out the centers of each half, reserving the insides of two halves. Place the hollowed zucchini boats in a shallow baking dish, scooped side facing up. Pour 1/2 cup water around the zucchinis and place in oven for 10 minutes to steam.
- While the zucchinis are cooking, place ingredients (shredded carrots - diced tomatoes) in a large mixing bowl. Stir until well combined. Chop reserved insides of zucchinis and add to the mixture, seasoning with salt and pepper. Add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and stir to combine.
- Remove steamed zucchinis from the oven and fill each boat with the vegetable and cheese mixture. (Be careful not to touch the hot baking dish without protecting your hands.) Be sure to pack in the mixture. (It’s OK if it falls down along the sides — more for later!) Top each zucchini boat with remaining 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Place baking dish in oven (again –– watch your hands!) and bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until Parmesan cheese is golden brown.
Powered by Recipage