Slow Cooker Ham 'n' Beans
Prep Time: 8 hours
Cook Time: 8 hours
Keywords: slow-cooker soup/stew entree
This recipe is the epitome of cool weather comfort food and is the perfect dish to make the day after a big family ham dinner. Just remember to save the ham bone and reserve a bit of the meat. If you don't have a ham around, most grocery stores sell smoked ham hocks in the meat section. Many times they come in packs of two or more. The ones you don't use will freeze well in a zip-top bag.
- 1 pound navy or great northern beans, sorted, soaked overnight (or according to directions on bag)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large smoked ham hock or ham bone
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chopped ham
- Sliced green onions for topping (optional)
- In the basin of a slow cooker, combine the beans, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, bay and ham hock or bone.
- Fill with water until just barely covering the beans.
- Cook on high for 6-7 hours, or low for 8-9 hours until beans are soft and beginning to fall apart.
- 30 minutes before end of cooking time, remove the ham hock or bone, strip off any meat, chop and return to the slow cooker. Discard bone. Stir in Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and remaining chopped ham.
- Serve sprinkled with green onions.
Powered by Recipage