Gingered Coconut and Carrot Bisque
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Keywords: saute appetizer soup/stew entree vegetarian vegan sugar-free soy-free gluten-free low-sodium
The joy of this soup is the balanced flavors. Try adding more garlic or ginger if you want to take the bisque in a different direction. A touch more ginger and it feels Asian-inspired, a little more garlic and you have a more American/Italian influence. Cater it to your own tastes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 pounds carrots, chopped roughly
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1-13 ounce can light coconut milk
- 1-2 chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and ginger and cook until just soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add carrots, vegetable broth, coconut milk and chili peppers. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until carrots are fork tender.
- Remove from heat. Puree soup in batches in a blender or use an immersion blender until perfectly smooth.
- Just before serving, stir in lime juice, salt and pepper.
Powered by Recipage