Two Bean Meatless Meatloaf
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: bake entree sandwich vegetarian vegan soy-free gluten-free
The two different types of beans help the texture approximate regular meatloaf. The pinto beans become smooth and creamy, while the chickpeas tend to keep some of their shape. Try experimenting with other types of beans to find your perfect combo.
For the Glaze:
For the meatloaf:
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup oats
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 large green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all glaze ingredients. Set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse the oats until chopped well, but not into a powder.
- Add onion, green pepper, garlic and sunflower kernels and pulse again until well combined.
- Add in chickpeas, pinto beans, chili powder, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Pulse until beans are almost nearly pureed. Leave a little bit of texture.
- Spoon bean mixture into a greased loaf pan and even out.
- Pour glaze over bean mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until glaze is caramelized and loaf is solid.
Recipe by Back to Her Roots at http://www.backtoherroots.com