This filling pasta bake will keep you full and energized! The mixture of whole grains, protein, and veggies make it a bit healthier than most pasta bakes!
Ingredients (Serves 6-8)
- 1 box organic whole wheat pasta
- 1-2 c. organic pasta sauce
- 4-6 c. leafy greens, spinach and kale work well, tore into bite sized pieces
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 1-2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 c. mushrooms, chopped
- 2 c. shredded chicken, cooked
- 1/4 c. whole wheat bread crumbs (optional)
- 1/2 c. shredded cheese (I used a combo of parm, asiago, and fontina)
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cook pasta according to directions. Set aside.
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the onions until they begin to soften and caramelize. Then, add garlic and mushrooms until the mushrooms soften, about 3-4 min. Then, add the spinach and kale and cook until the turn bright green and become limp, about 3-5 min.
In a 9x13 casserole dish, combine the pasta, veggie mixture, shredded chicken, and sauce. Stir to combine and evenly coat pasta. Sprinkle with bread crumbs, cheese, and herbs.
Place in oven and cook for 5-8 min. or until cheese melts.