Salted Caramel Chocolate Donuts
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: bake dessert breakfast Chocolate donuts
A sinfully delicious treat that satisfies your craving for both salty and sweet.
Ingredients (8 donuts)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweeteed cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- If you do not have buttermilk on hand, add 3/4 teaspoon of white vinegar to a measuring cup then add milk to equal 3/4 of a cup. Allow to sit for 5 minutes then stir and use the needed amount in your recipe.
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons unsweeteend cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons of milk
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray donut pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Stir in melted butter, vanilla, egg and buttermilk until well combined.
- Carefully spoon into donut pan and bake for 8-10 minutes or until donuts spring back to the touch. (Note: Batter makes more than 6 donuts so if you have a six donut pan you will have to bake a second batch for the two extra donuts).
- Allow to cool complete on a wire rack before frosting.
- While the donuts are baking, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a small bowl.
- Whisk in vanilla extract and cocoa powder until smooth.
- Add 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and stir, then add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Spread frosting over donuts.
- Melt butter in a small pan over medium heat. Stir in sugar then increase heat to medium-high. Continue to stir while cooking until mixture turns the color of caramel, 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and slowly stir in cream.
- Return to heat and bring to a boil. Cook for 1-2 minutes while stirring to allow mixture to thicken. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. (Note: Recipe makes approximately 1/2 cup of caramel, store remaining in air-tight container.)
- Drizzle caramel over chocolate frosting then sprinkle with sea salt.