Spinach, Bacon and Swiss Quiche with Almond Flour Crust
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Keywords: bake breakfast eggs spinach
An easy and savory brunch recipe that can serve a large group and can be made in advance.
Ingredients (8-10 slices)
- 3/4 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal/flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup shortening, chilled
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2-3 tablespsoons ice water
- 5 large eggs
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
- 4 cups (slightly packed) fresh spinach
- 6 slices center cut bacon, cooked crisp and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1) Combine white flour, almond flour and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in shortening and butter using a pastry blender or two knives, until the mixture is crumbly. Add ice water, one tablespoon at a time and mix with a fork until the mixture comes together.
- 2) Using your hands, shape the dough into a ball then flatten it into a round disk. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes, until the dough is chilled enough to roll.
- 3) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. While the oven is heating, flour a work surface and roll the dough out to 1/8" thickness sprinkling with flour as needed so it does not stick. Carefully transfer the dough to a 9 inch pie pan, pressing into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Trim off any excess dough around the edges. Pre-bake the crust for 7-8 minutes then allow to cool for 2 minutes before pouring in the filling.
- 1) Cook 6-7 slices of center cut bacon until crispy, drain on paper towels. Once it has cooled, crumble the bacon and set aside.
- 2) Remove the stems from spinach and roughly chop. Saute over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, until the spinach wilts down. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 3) In a large bowl, whisk five whole eggs. Add in milk, half and half, seasonings and mix well. Stir in the grated cheese, spinach and bacon then pour the entire mixture into your prepared crust.
- 4) Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the center is set and the edges are brown. Allow the quiche to cool for about 5 minutes before serving.