Prep Time: About 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
Keywords: bake entree egg-free gluten-free vegetarian tomato Eggplant fall summer
A twist on the traditional lasagna recipe, this healthy alternative is pasta free!
- 3 small eggplants (or 1 1/2 medium eggplants)
- 2 tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- Basil, fresh, 1 cup
- Oregano, fresh, 1/2 cup
- 32 oz. Ricotta cheese
- 1 jar of organic pasta sauce (23.5 oz. Newman's Own Organics works well) OR 1 cup organic pasta sauce and an additional 4-6 tomatoes
- Start off by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Then, slice the eggplant into thin sections, about 1/4" thick. The thinner the slices, the softer the eggplant will be when it comes out of the oven.
- Next, mince the garlic and finely chop the basil and oregano.
- In a 9x13 casserole dish or lasagna pan, pour a layer (about 1 cup) of pasta sauce on the bottom of the dish.
- Place the eggplant slices on top of the sauce.
- Add the ricotta on top of the eggplant.
- Finish the layer off by adding the garlic and herbs, and either another thin layer of pasta sauce, or a layer of fresh tomatoes - whichever you prefer.
- Repeat one or two times, depending on how deep your dish is. Finish with placing a layer of fresh tomatoes on top.
- Place the dish in the oven and cook for about 35-40 minutes, until the tomatoes on top are bubbly and roasted.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Stores well in the fridge for leftovers. Who doesn't love cooking once and eating twice?!