Crock Pot Chicken Chili
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 - 10 hours
Ingredients (10 servings)
- 1 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 28 ounce can of fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can of light or dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can of corn (or 2 cups fresh corn kernels)
- 1 can original Rotel with green chilies
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, low-fat plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Take out your crock put and put it on the kitchen counter. Place a crock pot liner inside, then place the lid back on.
- Dice bell pepper and onion and place in a quart size ziplock bag. Sprinkle with garlic powder and cumin, close the bag and shake to mix the seasonings. Store in the refrigerator overnight.
- Place a gallon size ziplock bag into a pitcher and fold edges over the sides of the pitcher to hold the bag upright while you add the ingredients. Pour in crushed tomatoes, black beans, kidney beans, corn and Rotel. Remove the bag from the pitcher, close and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, take out bag of bell pepper, onion and seasonings and pour into the bottom of your crock pot. Place chicken breasts on top of the onion mixture, then pour the tomato mixture over the chicken. Add two cup of low sodium chicken broth and place the lid on the crock pot. Cook on low (8 - 10 hours).
- After the chili is completely cooked, remove chicken breasts from the mixture and place on a cutting board. Using two forks, shred the chicken into bite size pieces and return to the crock pot. Stir well to combine, then serve piping hot.
- If desired, top with shredded cheese, yogurt or sour cream.