Roasted Pepper and Corn Chowder
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: saute soup/stew potatoes jalapenos
Ingredients (10 servings)
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch pieces (about 5 cups)
- 3 medium jalapenos, roasted and diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, roasted and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 15 ounce can of sweet corn, drained
- 1 cup non fat milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 ounce carton of Fage Total Greek yogurt, non-fat
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain water, reserve 1/2 of the cooked potatoes. Mash the remaining potatoes and set aside.
- While potatoes are boiling, cut jalapenos and red bell pepper in half, remove membranes and seeds. Place cut side down on a baking sheet (cover with foil for easy clean-up) and broil for 5-10 minutes until skins are blackened and charred. Immediately place peppers in a ziplock bag and seal, allow to cool. Remove the skins and dice the peppers.
- In a large dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, green bell pepper and celery. Cook over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, corn, mashed and diced potatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together milk and flour in a small bowl, then pour into the broth mixture. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, cooking for 5-8 minutes until it thickens. Add cheddar cheese and stir until it melts.
- Remove chowder from heat and stir in yogurt. Serve with chopped green onions.