Ingredients (2 Napoleons)
- 17.3 ounce package of two puff pastry sheets
- 1 egg, for optional egg wash
- 3.4 ounce box instant French vanilla pudding
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 pint whipping cream, whipped
- 1 pound strawberries, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Juice of 1 lime
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold pastry sheet and cut into three strips of equal size. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. If a more golden brown color is desired, apply an egg wash (1 egg and 1 tablespoon water) on the top of each pastry strip. Prick each strip with a fork and bake as directed on the box.
- Once golden brown, remove from baking sheets and cool on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, mix pudding and heavy cream; refrigerate until firm. In a medium-sized bowl, combine chopped strawberries, lime juice, and vanilla; set aside.
- When pudding mixture is firm, fold in whipped pint of whipping cream and mix in strawberries.
- Split each pastry into two layers, forming a total of 12 layers.
- Layer filling and pastry sheets, beginning and ending with pastry.
- For easier slicing, refrigerate before serving.