Keywords: saute entree gluten-free vegetarian vegan
Original Source: Bon Appetit
- 1/4C balsamic vinegar (or Chinkiang black rice vinegar)
- 2 (14oz) blocks extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2T light brown sugar
- 2T vegetable oil
- 1 4" piece ginger, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 1/4C low-sodium soy sauce
- cilantro (for serving)
- Slice tofu into even pieces (about 5-6 per block)
- In a small pan, bring vinegar and sauce sauce to boil. Remove from heat and add sugar stirring until it dissolves.
- Pour this mixture over the drained/pressed tofu.
- Marinate for 1-8 hours in the refrigerator. Flip tofu every few hours so it marinates evenly.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add ginger and garlic. Stir constantly cooking until it is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Remove from oil.
- Pour off excess marinade saving it in a separate bowl. Pat tofu dry.
- Add tofu to heated oil.
- Cook tofu on each side for about 5-7 minutes, until browned.
- Add remaining marinade along with the garlic/ginger.
- Cook until mixture thickens and glazes the tofu, about 1-2 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve over rice or veggies of choice.